Thursday, June 30, 2011

11 Week Check In

Oh what a week!  We went on a trip to Portland, which was so nice.  Just R and I went without anyone else.  Even Pickles stayed at home.  It was really relaxing to just go enjoy ourselves with our friends without having to do any loading, unloading, caravaning, etc.

However, when we got home on Sunday things started to go poorly.  I noticed that my right implant was looking strangely shaped and was feeling softer than the left side.  I was hoping it was no big deal, so I went to bed.  The next morning it was obvious that my implant was leaking.  I am starting to go concave and misshapen on that side.  I called my OB and my plastic surgeon's office to discuss what my options were.  I had been told that if one of the implants leaked, I would need to come in for surgery right away so that I wouldn't have to go through expansions again.  The OB said that I could go through surgery but she would prefer I wait until the 2nd trimester.  The plastic surgeon said that there is no way they will do the surgery while I am pregnant and on blood thinners.  So, I will need to have a prosthetic until little one is born and then I will get an expander placed, go through the expansion process and then have a second surgery to replace the expander with an implant.

I am happy to do whatever is best for baby, and I certainly don't want to have surgery if it is risky for my little one.  I am really worried about trying to go through all of this while learning to be a mom and taking care of a newborn.  I am going to have to try to have the first surgery during my maternity leave since I won't be able to take any extra time off.  I am also worried about how R is going to cope with taking care of the baby, me and the animals while I recover.  Ugh.  What horrible timing!

I ordered a Doppler last Friday, so I can listen to baby's heartbeat in between appointments.  It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but the shipper used the wrong kind of shipping and it won't be here until next week.  I know it is a little thing, especially compared to the other stuff going on, but my fuse is pretty short and I am frustrated beyond belief.  I was really hoping to hear little one today.

The only thing that went according to plan this week was getting my new phone, which actually rings when people call me.  At least there is that.  I am really hoping next week is better.  I have my NT scan and next OB appointment a week from tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!!

Weekly Check In:


  • How far along?: 11 weeks
  • Total weight gain: Won't know for another couple of weeks.  Sometimes I feel like I have gained and somedays I feel like I have lost.  I guess we will see.
  • How big is baby?: Baby is the size of a lime this week.  I can't believe how big s/he is getting.
  • Maternity clothes?: Fully in maternity clothes at this point.  They are so comfortable.
  • Movement: Still way too early.
  • Stretch marks?: Just the ones I already had.
  • Sleep?: Still exhausted and still waking up in the middle of the night at least once for a bathroom trip.  I have also been having some crazy dreams, which are making it hard to sleep consistently..
  • Symptoms?: Exhausted, heartburn, heightened sense of smell, frequent urination, gassy, constipated, decreasing nausea at this point, really vivid dreams, food aversions and round ligament pain.  I am most excited about that last one.  I feel like it is good evidence that LO is growing away in there.
  • Food cravings:  Gyros, chocolate and garlic bagels are the only things that sound appealing, at least at this particular moment.
  • Belly button in or out?: Still an innie.
  • What I miss: I am missing sushi at the moment.  Oh!  And sandwich meat.
  • What I'm looking forward to: My NT scan and next OB appointment are a week from tomorrow!!  We are taking a day trip to Mt Rainier on Saturday, which should be a lot of fun, and we are hosting a BBQ on our roof for the 4th of July, which will be a lot of fun too.
  • Best Moment this week: This has been another bad week.  Again, nothing to do with baby.  I have been mostly feeling confident this week, but the closer we get to 13 weeks, the harder it is going to be.
  • Milestone: Baby's fingers and toes are no longer webbed and hair follicles, nail beds and teeth buds are starting to form!
- J

No comments:

Post a Comment