Monday, May 30, 2011

Baby's first camping trip

We got back from our Memorial Day camping trip yesterday.  It wasn't our normal Macthoy trip.  We weren't up to going that far and I didn't want to be that far from a hospital in case there was an issue, so instead we went camping with the band. 

We went to a campground in the mountains by North Bend.  The campsite itself was beautiful, but the drive there was awful.  There is a logging road that you have to go down to get to the campsite and it is not maintained at all.  3-4 miles of the road was just potholes.  The group site that we reserved was not as big as we thought it would be, so cramming all of the tents in there was a challenge, but we made it work.  Also, there was another site directly next to ours, which was a bit of a problem.  There wasn't a lot of privacy.  But the views of the mountains and the sounds from the river were stellar. 

Unfortunately, the weather was not great.  The first night it poured and was really cold, which flavored the rest of the trip.  The firewood got all wet so starting a fire was nearly impossible which meant that there was no shot at all of drying out.  The next day there was some sun and overall it was more enjoyable, but it was still pretty cold.  By the time Sunday rolled around, everyone decided to cut the trip short a day and go home.

There is another camping trip coming up in a couple of weeks, but I am not sure if I am going to go.  I am leaning towards not at this point.  It is further away, and I am just not sure how I feel about being away from a hospital.  Also, I felt like people were annoyed by having to avoid smoking near me.  I kind of felt like I was an inconvenience and people would have been happier if I had not been there.  Plus, Pickles was really not enjoying herself.  On the other hand, the site is supposed to be gorgeous, and the weather should be much better.  I am going to talk to my doctor tomorrow and see what she thinks.

Which brings me to the most exciting yet nerve-wracking part of this.  Tomorrow I go in for another ultrasound.  I am praying that little one is okay and we get to see a nice strong, healthy heartbeat tomorrow.  R wasn't at the first appointment where I saw the heartbeats for the twins, so I am excited for him to be there with me tomorrow.  I am praying that it goes well, so that he can have that experience with me. 

Wish us luck!  I will post more tomorrow.

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment