Sunday, May 22, 2011

Big Announcement!

Yesterday we went up to Bellingham to celebrate Mom's birthday.  The plan was to surprise Mom, Dad and Sig with our big announcement, but I was nervous because the night before, Mom had mentioned having a dream about me having a little girl.  I was hoping that I would be able to keep the secret until Sig arrived.

We got there between 12:00 and 1:00, and we had to wait until Sig got there at 3:00-ish.  Luckily, R and I had a lot to get done and we were able to keep ourselves distracted.  We both went with Mom to get a new gas tank for the grill.  That ended up being a huge project, as the gas tank fitting on the grill weren't compatible.  R and Mom went back to the hardware store and swapped out the tank again, but ended up having the same problem.  We got it working for a few minutes, but then it stopped working again.  We also had to take apart the crib, and I had to bake Mom's cake.  In the meantime, we had lots of surprise visitors.  Mom's aunt and uncle came by to wish Mom a happy birthday, and Dad's former caregiver stopped by as well. 

Finally, Sig arrived.  Unfortunately, she showed up while Dad's former caregiver was there, so we had to wait until she left to give the gift bags.  As soon as she walked out the door, I gave Mom and Sig their gift bags.  In each was a Grandma's Handbook with a copy of the ultrasound photo in it.  I also included a picture book for each bag.  Mom's was "The Berenstein Bears and a Week at Grandma's".  Sig's was "Just Grandma and Me (A Little Critter book)".  And I slid a "I love Grandpa" bib in Mom's so that Dad wouldn't feel left out.  Sig was the first one to guess, which I found a little surprising considering Mom's dream.  Everyone was thrilled.  And more importantly, everyone agreed to not say anything until we are ready.

So everything went really well and it is so much easier now that we don't have to hide anything from our parents.  

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment